Volunteers from the San Joaquin Genealogical Society are available to help with your family history questions. You will find them upstairs in the Genealogy Section at the Chavez Central Library every Tuesday from 10am until 2pm., except in December. Other volunteers will look up and copy obituaries and other genealogical information upon request for a fee.
Paid for by the Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
- Ancestry Library Edition **
- ** available only if you are in the library
- Genealogical records from around the world.
- Biography Resource Center
- Brief biographies from reference works by the Gale Group.
The Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library has a large, non-circulating genealogy collection on the upper level of the Cesar Chavez Central Library. The collection includes the following materials.
- 200 Family Histories from across the country
- 1500+ Genealogy books with records for nearly all 50 states, European countries, hereditary societies, and U.S. military and land records
- San Joaquin County vital records, cemetery records, and more in books published by the San Joaquin Genealogical Society and other local authors
- 125 periodicals from genealogical and historical societies
The Library also owns many circulating books on how to do genealogy that you can read at home.
The San Joaquin Genealogical Society has donated the majority of the material in the Genealogy Reference Collection and continues to do so each year. The Society gives periodic workshops in the Library. The Society also publishes books of San Joaquin County records.