Volunteers from the San Joaquin Genealogical Society are available to help with your family history questions. The volunteers are at the Chavez Central Library on the first and last Tuesday of each month, 10 am til 1 pm. You can find them in the Genealogy Section on the top floor of the Library. As an additional service, Society researchers can look up obituaries and other material for a fee. Use this form to request this service.
GENEALOGY VOLUNTEERS WILL BE TAKING SOME TIME OFF AND WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER. THEY WILL BE BACK IN JANUARY.
Paid for by the Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library
- Ancestry Library Edition **
- ** available only if you are in the library
- Genealogical records from around the world.
- Biography Resource Center
- Brief biographies from reference works by the Gale Group.
The Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library has a large, non-circulating genealogy collection on the upper level of the Cesar Chavez Central Library. The collection includes the following materials.
- 200 Family Histories from across the country
- 1500+ Genealogy books with records for nearly all 50 states, European countries, hereditary societies, and U.S. military and land records
- San Joaquin County vital records, cemetery records, and more in books published by the San Joaquin Genealogical Society and other local authors
- 125 periodicals from genealogical and historical societies
The Library also owns many circulating books on how to do genealogy that you can read at home.
The San Joaquin Genealogical Society has donated the majority of the material in the Genealogy Reference Collection and continues to do so each year. The Society gives periodic workshops in the Library. The Society also publishes books of San Joaquin County records.